Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Okay, I lied!

Okay, you're right. I lied.

By our standards, Joshua was NOT a young man. He was perhaps as old as his friend Caleb, who was eighty-five years old when he took the hill country of Gilead. Perhaps slightly younger.

We know he was one of the spies sent into the land forty years previously. We know he had been Moses' assitant during the time Moses received the ten-commandments -- perhaps all through the Israelites' travels in the wilderness. So, Joshua was no spring chicken!

But a military general?

No way. Not compared to Schwartzkoff, or Tommy Franks, or Wolfowitz, or even Patton.

This guy is a civilian. And he's charged with the task of helping his people take out the entire indeginous population of Palestine so that the Israelites can take over the land. Not a simple task.

The Israelites were professional servants. Brick makers. Builders. Slaves. But soldiers? Not a chance. So how can this poor schmuck accomplish this amazing feat? The same way -- the only way -- ANYONE in this world can accomplish anything...

"Be strong and courageous, for you will lead my people to possess all the land I swore to give thier ancestors. Be strong and very courageous. Obey all the laws Moses gave you. Do not turn away from them and you will be successful in everything you do. Study this Book of the Law continually. Meditate on it day and night so that you may be sure to obey all that is written in it. Only then will you succeed. I command you, be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the LORD your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:6-9

Important words, found on the pages of the Old Testament. How will this poor guy lead this rag-tag group of slaves to victory? By OBEYING. God is going to show him how to do it. I know, because I've read the book, that ol' Josh is going to try some of the most unique and surprising techniques ever used in warfare. And he's going to learn the techniques directly from God. With God showing us how to accomplsh a task, we can expect surprising and creative answers.

The other secret to Joshua's success is one we all have access to...

God promises to be with him. Jesus promised his followers the same thing at the end of every gospel. "I will be with you, even unto the end of the age."

You know, you can do almost anything if you know you won't be doing it alone!

Have you considered, going it with God? It makes any responsibility that much lighter!

I've finished the whole book, so I'm on to reading Romans. But I'm still going to catch up on my posts. You may want to check daily for a while. I don't want to miss out on this adventure, so it will take me a while to get it all done. Stay with me?

And if you have time, please pray for my friend Keith who is facing some difficult days. And also for my dearest friend Kerrie, who is facing the possibility of Cancer. Both these two have chosen to go through this with God. It won't be easy, I know. But it will be easier for them with God.

Bette

1 comment:

deanna said...

Hello, Bette! I've enjoyed reading some of your blog. May you and your friends find comfort, right in the direction you're turning, to the God of all comfort.