Monday, November 16, 2009

Back Business

So. Today, questions for you:

Are you a reader? If so, how do you choose what you will read next?

As a reader, how do you think I (an author) could BEST entice you to read my next novel?

I'm in the middle of planning my release promotion for my next fiction, (Genoa Bay, releasing January 2010) and frankly, when I signed up for writing novels, I thought WRITING was all I'd have to do. Turns out, that is wrong. Writing is only a tiny part of the bargain.

Nope. You plan the novel. You research the novel. You write parts of the novel. You sell the novel to a publisher (With the help of your ever supportive and helpful agent). And then, you write the rest of the novel. You edit the novel. You turn the novel in. You edit again. And again. And again. And then you wait.

And then you promote it.

This, it turns out, is the hardest part for me. Promotion is so much outside of my comfort zone.

So. To promote, I speak. I teach. I try to get others to read the novel and to tell friends about it. I write about the process (here, for instance). And then I hope. I pray.

So, my friends. You read what I sometimes write here. What advice do YOU have to give your author friend?

I'm open, really!

Bette


No comments: