Thursday, March 13, 2008

Oprah WARNING

Hello out there,

I'm writing to you from Palm Desert California, where our family is resting and playing in the sun.

Lately I've been working hard on a retreat I'm presenting for a group of women in Olympia, Washington. It pleases me to look at our culture -- both the Christian culture, and the American Culture -- and to think deeply about what influences are pushing us first this way and then the next.

And what enables me to evaluate these forces with wisdom is the enduring truth of the Word of God.

Most recently, I think, the American culture has become enamored, even bewitched by the beloved Queen of Daytime Talk, Oprah Winfrey.

I admit, I've enjoyed more than one of her shows. I like watching designers, listening to the casts of the latest movies, and hearing the true life stories of amazing survivors.

But have you noticed the wild detour that our Talk Show Queen has taken lately? She has fully embraced the theology of THE SECRET. After that, she has promoted the The Miracle. The Year of Miracles. And Embracing Your Midlife. All from the same author (see the quote below)

She talks openly and frequently about sending "good thoughts" out into the universe so that "what you desire" will come to you.

And, her latest project, "THE NEW EARTH," is being harped on every show.

My advice dear Bible Believing Friends? Don't fall for it. BEWARE! Evaluate. Compare the words she espouses word for word with THE WORD OF GOD. One is hoax. The other is the enduring word of truth.

The latest of her thrilling finds in the literary world, are nothing less than foolishness. At the other end, many thoughts in the books she espouses are full blown heresy.

I include the following quote from the Oprah website, with the link included, which I excerpted from "A Year of Miracles" last Sunday, the 1st of March.

Begin Quote

http://www2.oprah.com/xm/mwilliamson/mwilliamson_main.jhtml

In remembering who you truly are, you are returned to holy perception. And through that return, you bless the world with every thought you think. Because all minds are joined, every thought of love you hold is a healing extended to everyone.

The light of the world brings peace to every mind through my forgiveness.

How holy are you who have the power to bring peace to every mind! How blessed are you who can learn to recognize the means for letting this be done through you! What purpose could you have that would bring you greater happiness?

You are indeed the light of the world with such a function. The Son of God looks to you for his redemption. It is yours to give him, for it belongs to you. Accept no trivial purpose or meaningless desire in its place, or you will forget your function and leave the Son of God in hell. This is no idle request that is being asked of you. You are being asked to accept salvation that it may be yours to give.

End Quote.

The Son of God needs us for HIS redemption?
I bless the world with my thoughts?
All minds are joined?
My thoughts bring healing to everyone?

I don't think so.

This particular passage falls so far from the realm of truth, that I have a hard time believing that anyone could be fooled. But then think about it. It sounds good. It strokes the ego of our own importance. It uses holy words, and important sounding phrases. The only ones who can't tell that it is false are those who have not yet made friends with the Word of God.

Makes this thing we are doing more important than ever, doesn't it?

How else can we smell a rat?

If we know the Word, then we have everything we need to evaluate the world around us.

Once a friend asked if I would like a glass of water. "Sure," I answered.

"Even if it poison in it?"

"Of course not." I thought she was crazy.

"But I only put a tiny bit in. A drop. No more."

Her analogy is strong. Even a tiny bit of untruth will make poison out of something completely innocuous. Spend time in the Word. Grow to love it. Evaluate the changing world by the unchanging truths you find there!

Bette

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO BETTE!!!! EVERYTHING IS SO CONFUSING IF YOU DON'T KNOW THE TRUTH. THANKS SO MUCH FOR PUTTING THIS OUT THERE. LOVE YA KAREN MOTLEY